'Proud' pop reveals where he will watch his son ski for Israel Olympic history (video)
Itamar Biran's father says he's enjoying his experience from the Games in South Korea.
Up at Yongpyeong Ski Resort today, the men and women were getting in some last-minute training. The women will start the slalom tomorrow, while the men will run giant slalom on Feb. 18. Itamar Biran, Israel's sole alpine skier at this Olympics, was up making a handful of runs with his coach alongside. Down at the base of the ski resort outside the House of Switzerland, I caught up with Itamar's father Doron Biran to find out how his son's training is going and how they're enjoying the Games. (See the video above.)
I got the chance later in the afternoon to head up the ski lift with Doron. We skied down together for a few runs to get the lowdown on the conditions where Itamar will be racing. The slopes at Yongpyeong had excellent snow, but interestingly there was very little snow in the trees. We remarked at the quality of skiers on the slope – the racers were training on the west part of the mountain, and where we were was mostly public skiers. But one skier after another was making beautifully carved turns down the hill.
PHOTOS: Israel at the Winter Olympics
The sun was shining at Yongpyeong and, without the wind, the temperature was quite pleasant. With the wind, however, it was frigid – the kind of temperature that makes it difficult to hold a cell phone without a glove for more than a moment.
The surface of the snow is firm and grippy, but still fast, and should bode well for racers with higher start numbers, including Itamar. We won't know his start number until Wednesday evening after the team captain's meeting.
More Winter Olympic coverage on From The Grapevine:
- Israel to send its largest delegation ever to Winter Olympics
- Israel's best ski racer ready for Olympic stage
- Fresh off a gold in Europe, Israeli speed skater reveals his 'biggest dream'
- In his final Olympics, Alexey Bychenko skating for a place in history
- With no coach, this Israeli skeleton athlete learned the sport by watching YouTube videos
- Figure skater still pinching herself that Olympic dream coming true
- Figure skater chosen to be Israeli flag bearer at Olympic Games
- Olympic dreams come true thanks to unlikely partnership
- First photos: Israeli athletes share their arrival in Korea for Winter Olympics
- Young skaters to carry on Israel’s ice dancing tradition
- Daniel Samohin: 'I take risks because I skate for Israel'
- Slideshow: Photos of the Israeli athletes at the Olympics
- Aimee Buchanan shares videos and photos from her Olympic debut
- Video: Interview with father of Israeli Olympian Itamar Biran
- How a Midwestern girl ended up covering the Israeli team at the Winter Olympics
MORE FROM THE GRAPEVINE: