Serena Williams' bridal designer offers 10 tips for choosing the perfect wedding gown
Galia Lahav's dresses may seem like something out of a dream, but her practical advice is very down-to-Earth.
Every bride wants to look beautiful on her wedding day, which is why choosing a gown is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. For most, color is a given. Beyond that, there are a lot of options. Strapless or sleeves? Ball gown or fitted sheath? Simple or elaborate?
The choices are numerous. So we turned to one of the world's leading bridal gown experts, Israeli designer Galia Lahav, for help.
Lahav creates haute couture bridal and evening gowns out of her studio in Tel Aviv, Israel, where 100 people work to create some of the most stunning wedding dresses. She sells them all over the world, in more than 40 stores in Europe, Asia, Australia and the United States. Stars including Vanessa Hudgens, Nicole Scherzinger, Meghan Trainor, Taraji P. Henson and Kristin Cavallari are just a few of the celebrities who’ve worn her gowns on the red carpet.
For tennis star Serena Williams' recent fairy tale wedding in New Orleans, Lahav designed the dresses for the entire bridal party.
In the list below, Lahav shares her thoughts with From The Grapevine readers about what you should consider before buying your wedding gown.
1. Is this your dress? Is this how you envisioned yourself? Do not be persuaded by others, because you have always known how you would look on your big day.
2. Take a look in the mirror. Does what you see make you smile? Is this part of the cherished memory that will follow you forever?
3. The quality of fabrics and materials used is very important.
4. How does the dress fit, and how does it make you feel?
5. Do you look hot in your dress?
6. Can you wear this dress throughout the entire wedding? Can you move around, dance, sit, breathe and hug your groom?
7. Where do you purchase your dress? Are you getting the service you deserve? After all, it is your wedding!
8. Make sure you are wearing the right shoes while choosing your dress. High heels can do wonders, but if your shoes are not comfortable, it may spoil the fun.
9. The budget: Will you invest a little more if your dream is more costly?
10. Are you wowed by this dress? Does it move you? This is one of the most emotional purchases you will make, so make sure the emotion is there. That's what it's all about!
MORE FROM THE GRAPEVINE: