Farro, cherry and apple salad
Greens, grains and seasonal fresh fruits make this salad a winner on all counts.
It’s been about a year since I "discovered" farro, and I’ve made it countless times as a side dish, or added it to soups and stews. And I’m always looking for new add-ins to my daily salad, so farro was an obvious next step, and I think it worked out quite well.
If you like salty food that really wakes up your taste buds, go with the feta on top of this beautiful salad. (But go easy on the dressing – you don’t want to ruin all that goodness by making it too heavy!)
- 2 cups farro, cooked al dente
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cubed
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and quartered
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta, optional
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, optional
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Whisk together dressing ingredients, and drizzle over salad immediately before serving. Toss to coat evenly.
Related Topics: Salads