Coconut chicken soup
A spicy dish that can be a meal all by itself.
This silky, aromatic soup is a complete meal in a bowl. The combination of spiciness, saltiness and creaminess make this soup sublime. It is simple to prepare with the proper ingredients and is a delight to sip on a chilly winter day.
Most of the ingredients can be found in local markets, or even a farmer's market. The nutritional profile is filled with fresh herbs and spices.
The fat in this soup is the coconut milk. The fat is the healthy coconut fat, which is not only antimicrobial but anti-inflammatory as well.
- 3 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 chicken breasts, skinned, deboned and diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 ounce fresh ginger root, sliced
- 1 fresh lemongrass stem, cut in 1" lengths
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half (or you can use grated lime zest)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons palm sugar, or use granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon roasted chili sauce
Put coconut milk and water, or chicken broth, into a medium-sized pot, and bring to boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat; add galangal, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves and cook a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next, add the chicken, salt, fish sauce, sugar and lime juice. Then, cook just until the chicken is done.
Add mushrooms and remove from the heat.
To serve, put a dash of chili sauce in the bottom of a soup bowl. Pour in the soup, sprinkle with coriander leaves or cilantro.