Angel hair pasta with mushroom alfredo sauce
A rich, savory mushroom sauce served over whole grain angel hair pasta with fresh herbs.
Pasta is comfort food, and especially in the cold winter months, we’re all craving it. Using whole grain pasta and cutting down on the fat in the alfredo sauce take this dish in a healthier direction. And the mushrooms, onions and garlic all provide wonderful vitamins, so pile ‘em on for flavor and nutrition!
- 1 pound whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 1/2 pound mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or Earth Balance
- 1 cup 2% milk or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or parsley
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a small saucepan or deep frying pan, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden.
While onions and garlic are browning, chop mushrooms. Add to pan and sauté five more minutes.
Sprinkle mushroom mixture with flour, and stir to coat. Add milk and bring to a simmer.
Add 1/2 cup parmesan and a few dashes black pepper and cook on medium heat until sauce has thickened. If it gets too thick, add more milk and a dash of salt.
Remove from heat, and add herbs and red onion. Top with remaining parmesan. Serve hot.
Related Topics: Vegetarian